||Institute of Statistical Science Academia Sinica
||886-2-27835611 ext. 207, 314
B.S., Mathematics, National Tsing Hua University
Ph.D., Mathematics, Cornell University
Distinguished Research Fellow and Director, Institute of Statistical Science, Academia Sinica
08/1994 - 07/1995
Chair Professor, Institute of Statistics, National Tsing Hua University
10/1990 - 12/1990
Visiting Professor, Institute of
Statistical Science, Academia Sinica
07/1989 - Present
Professor, Department of Statistics,
University of California, Berkeley
07/1983 - 06/1989
Associate Professor, Department of
Statistics, University of California, Berkeley
09/1981 - 12/1981
Visiting Assistant Professor, Mathematics Research
Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison
07/1977 - 06/1983
Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, University
of California, Berkeley
Elected Fellow, American Statistical Association, 1999
Elected Member, International Statistical Institute, 1988
Elected Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, 1986
Member of IMS Nominations Committee, 2002-2004 (Chair, 2003)
Member of IMS Committee to Select Editors, 1999-2002
Co-Chair, 1998 ASA Quality and Productivity Research Conference.
Member of Board of Directors, International Chinese Statistical Association,
Member of Organizing Committee: R. C. Bose Memorial Conference, Fort Collins,
Member of Advisory Committee, Institute of Statistical Science, Academia
Co-organized a meeting on design of experiments at Oberwolfach, Germany, 1993.
Member of program committee: IMS Special Topics Meeting on Statistics in
Member of program committee: IMS Western Regional Meeting, 1989
Organized two workshops on Efficient Data Collection at Berkeley, July
9-20, 1984 and February 11-13, 1985.
Member of program committee: IMS Western Regional Meeting, 1982.
Associate Editor, Technometrics, 2004 Associate Editor, Biornetrika,
Chair-Editor, Statistica Sinica, 1996-1999.
Associate Editor, Statistica Sinica, 1988-1996.
Associate Editor, Annals of Statistics, 1986-1995.
Associate Editor, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 1981-1991.
Dursun Alta Bulutoglu, Ph.D., 2001
Joel Emmanuel Atkins, Ph.D., 1994
Patricia Kipnis, Ph.D., 1990
Richard Cutler, Ph.D., 1988
Daniel Coster, Ph.D., 1986
Tahsin Erkan Ture, Ph.D., 1982
INVITED PAPERS AT
1. Symposium on Combinatorial Mathematics and Optimal Designs, Fort Collins,
Colorado, June 1978.
2. IMS Western Regional Meeting, Eugene, Oregon, June 1978.
3. IMS Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., August
4. 43rd Session of the International Statistical Institute, Buenos Aires,
Argentina, December 1981.
5. Meeting in the honor of Jerzy Neyman and Jack Kiefer, Berkeley,
California, June 1983.
6. Jack Kiefer -
Jacob Wolfowitz Statistical Research Conference, Ithaca,
New York, July 1983.
7. IMS Western Regional Meeting, San Luis Obispo, California, June 1985.
8. Oberwolfach meeting, Oberwolfach, Germany, December 1985.
9. 1986 International Statistical Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, 1986.
10. Symposium on Statistical Theory of Experimental Designs, Minneapolis,
Minnesota, June 1988.
11. First International Conference
- Workshop on Optimal Design and Analysis of Experiments,
Neuchatel, Switzerland, July 1988.
12. R.C. Bose Memorial Conference on Combinatorial Mathematics and
Applications, Calcutta, India, December 1988
13. R.C. Bose Symposium on Probability, Statistics and Design of Experiments,
Delhi, India, December 1988
Workshop on Experimental Design and Quality Improvement, Taipei, Taiwan, June
Third International Workshop on Model-Oriented Data Analysis, St. Petersburg,
Russia, May 1992.
Oberwolfach meeting, Oberwolfach, Germany, May 1993.
Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 1993.
Meeting of the International Chinese Statistical Association, Taipei, Taiwan,
19. ProbaStat ˉ94, Smolenice, Slovakia, May 1994.
Western Regional Meeting, Los Angeles, California, June 1994.
21. R. C.
Bose Memorial Conference, Fort Collins, Colorado, June 1995.
Meeting of Chinese Mathematical Society (keynote speaker), Chia-Yi, Taiwan,
ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland, June 1996.
NIU Statistics Symposium, De Kaib, Illinois, September 1996.
Experimental Design Workshop, Hong Kong, May 1997.
Summer Research Conferences in the Mathematical Sciences ¨New Developments and
Applications in Experimental Design〃,
Seattle, Washington, June-July 1997.
International Triennial Calcutta Symposium on Probability and Statistics,
Calcutta, India, December 1997.
International Conference on Recent Advances in Statistics and Probability,
Calcutta, India, December 1997.
Fifth International Workshop on Model-Oriented Data Analysis, Marseille,
France, June 1998.
1998 International Statistical Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, August 1998.
Oberwolfach meeting, Oberwolfach, Germany, November 1998.
International Conference of the Forum for Interdisciplinary Mathematics,
Mysore, India, December 1998.
Meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada, Regina, Canada, June 1999.
Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, August 1999.
International Conference of the Forum for Interdisciplinary Mathematics,
Mobile, Alabama, December 1999.
Design 2000, Cardiff, United Kingdom, April 2000.
International Workshop on Model-Oriented Design and Analysis, Puchberg,
Austria, June 2001.
International Congress of Chinese Mathematicians, Taipei, Taiwan, December
Spring Research Conference on Statistics in Industry and Technology, Ann
Arbor, Michigan, May 2002.
Taipei International Statistical Symposium and Bernoulli Society EAPR
Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, July 2002.
Workshop on Design and Analysis of Experiments, Vancouver, Canada, July 2002.
Statistical Meetings, New York City, August 2002.
Spring Research Conference on Statistics in Industry and Technology, Dayton,
Ohio, June 2003.
1. ¨The even-odd game〃 (with F.K. Hwang), Tamkang Journal of Mathematics
2. ¨Segal algebras and the multiplication by continuous characters〃,
Chinese Journal of Mathematics 1:175-181, 1973.
3. ¨Optirnality of certain asymmetrical experimental designs〃, Annals of
Statistics 6:1239-126 1,1978.
4. ¨Optimal designs for the elimination of multi-way heterogeneity〃,
Annals of Statistics 6:1262-1272, 1978.
5. ¨A note on (M.S.)-Optimality〃, Communications in Statistics
6. ¨Construction of Youden hyperrectangles〃, Journal of Statistical
Planning and Inference 3:109-118, 1979.
7. ¨Optimal incomplete block designs with four varieties〃, Sankhya,
Series B 41:1-14, 1979.
8. ¨Optimality of some weighing and 2〃 fractional factorial designs〃,
Annals of Statistics 8:43 6-446, 1980.
9. ¨Orthogonal arrays with variable numbers of symbols〃, Annals of
Statistics 8:447-453, 1980.
10. ¨A characterization of group-divisible designs
and some related results〃 (with L.J. Gray), Annals of Discrete Mathematics
11. ¨On the E-optirnality of some block designs〃, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B
12. ¨Balanced repeated measurements designs〃 (with C.F. Wu), Annals of
13. ¨Optimality and construction of pseudo Youden designs〃, Annals of
Statistics 9:20 1-205,1981.
14. ¨On the comparison of PBIB designs with two associate classes〃, Annals
of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
15. ¨Nearly balanced incomplete block designs〃 (with C.F. Wu),
Biometrika 68:493-500, 1981.
16. ¨Maximizing the total number of spanning trees in a graph: two related
problems in graph theory and optimum design theory〃, Journal of
Combinatorial Theory, Series B 31:240-248, 1981.
17. ¨A family of pseudo-Youden designs with row size less than the number of
symbols〃, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 31:219-221, 1981.
18. ¨Graph and optimum design theories
some connections and examples〃, Proceedings of the
43rd Session of the International Statistical Institute: 5
of optimal balanced incomplete block designs for correlated observations〃,
Annals of Statistics 11:240-246, 1983.
20. ¨A minimax approach to sample surveys〃 (with K.C.
Annals of Statistics 11:552-563,1983.
21. ¨A unified method for constructing PBIB designs based on triangular and L2
schemes〃 (with G.M. Constantine and A.S. Hedayat), Journal of the
Royal Statistical Society, Series B 46:31-37,1984.
22. ¨The strong consistency of M-estirnators in linear models〃 (with K.C. Li),
Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 15:91-98, 1984.
23. ¨Comments on four papers by Jack Kiefer〃, Jack Carl Kiefer Collected
Papers III 695-700,1984.
24. ¨Nearly balanced designs〃, Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences,
25. ¨Optimal weighing designs〃, (with J.C. Masaro and C.S. Wong),
SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods,
26. ¨Run orders of
factorial designs〃, Proceedings of the
Berkeley Conference in Honor of Jerzy Neyman and Jack Kiefer,
27. ¨Do nearly
balanced multigraphs have more spanning trees?〃 (with J.C. Masaro and
Journal of Graph Theory, 8:342-345, 1985.
28. ¨On the efficiency of regular generalized line graph designs〃 (with G.M.
Constantine), Journal of Statistical Planning and
Inference, 15:1-10, 1986.
29. ¨A method for
constructing balanced incomplete block designs with nested rows and columns〃,
Biometrika, 73:695-700, 1986.
30. ¨Optimality criteria in survey sampling〃 (with K.C. Li), Biometrika,
31. ¨An optimization problem with applications to optimal design theory〃,
Annals of Statistics,15:712-723, 1987.
32. ¨An application of the Kiefer-Wolfowitz equivalence theorem to a problem
in Hadamard transform optics〃, Annals of Statistics, 15:1593-1603,
33. ¨Regular graph designs〃, Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences,
34. ¨Optimal step-type designs for comparing test treatments with a control〃
(with D. Majumdar, J. Stufken, and T.E. Ture), Journal of American
Statistical Association, 83:477-482, 1988.
35. ¨Minimum cost trend-free run orders of fractional factorial
designs〃, (with D.C. Coster), Annals of Statistics, 16:1188-1205, 1988.
36. ¨The construction of trend-free run orders of two-level factorial designs〃
(with M. Jacroux), Journal of American Statistical Association,
37. ¨A note on the optimality of semibalanced arrays〃, Optimal Design and
Analysis of Experiments, (Edited by Y. Dodge, V.V. Fedorov and H.P. Wynn)
38. ¨Some orthogonal main-effect plans for asymmetrical factorials〃,
Technometrics, 3 1:475-477,1989.
39. ¨Construction of optimal fractional factorial resolution V designs with N
=2 mod 16 observations〃, (with S. Chadjiconstantinidis and C. Moyssiadis),
Journal of Statistical Planning and
Inference, 23:153-161, 1989.
40. ¨Construction of run orders of factorial designs〃, Statistical Design
and Analysis of Industrial Experiments, (edited by S. Ghosh), 423-439,
41. ¨Characterization of invariant spaces under a symmetric real matrix and
its permutations〃, (with K.C. Li), LinearAlgebra and Its Applications,
127:503-5 16, 1990.
42. ¨Optimal properties of balanced incomplete block and other designs〃,
Coding Theory and Design Theory, Part II (edited by D. Ray-Chaudhuri),
43. ¨D-optimality of linked block designs and some related results〃,
Probability, Statistics and Design of Experiments, (edited by R.R. Bahadur),
44. ¨Optimality of some two-associate-class partially balanced incomplete
block designs〃 (with R.A. Bailey), Annals of Statistics, 19:1667-1671,
45. ¨Trend robust two-level factorial designs〃 (with D.M.
Steinberg), Biometrika, 78:325-336,1991.
46. ¨On the optimality of (M.S)-optimal designs in large systems〃, Sankhya,
54:117-125, 1992. (Proceedings of R.C. Bose Memorial Conference on
Combinatorial Mathematics and Applications)
47. ¨Construction of trend-resistant factorial designs〃 (with R.A. Bailey and
P. Kipnis), Statistica Sinica, 2:393-411, 1992.
48. ¨Some optimal designs of block size two〃 (with S. Bagchi), Journal of
Statistical Planning and Inference, 37:245-253, 1993.
49. ¨Constructing orthogonal fractional factorial designs when some
factor-level combinations are debarred〃 (with Chang-Chung Li),
Technometrics, 3 5:277-283, 1993.
50. ¨Neighbor-balanced orthogonal arrays〃, Journal of
Combinatorics, Information & System Sciences (Professor C.R. Rao
Dedication Volume), 18:61-67, 1993.
51. ¨A study of the method of principal Hessian direction for
analysis of data from designed experiments〃 (with K.C. Li), Statistica
Sinica, 5:617-639, 1995.
52. ¨Some projection properties of orthogonal arrays〃, Annals of
Statistics, 23:1223-1233, 1995.
53. ¨Complete class results for the moment matrices of designs over
permutation-invariant sets〃, Annals of Statistics, 23: 41-54, 1995.
54. ¨Optimal regression designs under random block-effects models〃,
Statistica Sinica, 5:485-497, 1995.
55. ¨Optimal design: exact theory〃, Handbook of Statistics,
Vol. 13, (edited by S. Ghosh and C. R. Rao), 977-1006, 1996.
56. ¨E(s2)-optimal supersaturated designs〃, Statistica Sinica,
7: 929-939, 1997.
57. ¨Some hidden projection properties of orthogonal arrays with strength
factorial designs with extreme numbers of level changes〃 (with R.J. Martin and
B. Tang), Annals of Statistics, 26:1522-1539, 1998.
59. ¨N-way balanced incomplete block designs〃, Journal of Statistical
Planning and Inference (R. C. Bose Memorial Conference Issue), 72:109-119,
60. ¨Proj ectivity and resolving power〃, Journal of Combinatorics,
Information and System Sciences (special issue in honor of J. N.
Srivastava), 23:47-58, 1998.
61. ¨Regular fractional factorial designs with minimum aberration and maximum
estimation capacity〃 (with R. Mukerjee), Annals of Statistics,
62. ¨Minimum aberration and model robustness for two-level fractional
factorial designs〃 (with D. M. Steinberg and D. X. Sun), Journal of Royal
Statistical Society, Ser. B, 61: 85-93, 1999.
63. ¨Optimal regression designs in the presence of random block effects〃 (with
J. E. Atkins), Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 77: 32
64. ¨Theory of optimal blocking of
designs〃 (with H. Chen), Annals of Statistics, 27:1948-1973, 1999.
65. ¨Uniqueness of some resolution IV two-level regular fractional factorial
designs〃 (with H. Chen), SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 13: 57
66. ¨Blocked regular fractional factorial designs with maximum estimation
capacity〃 (with R. Mukerjee), Annals of Statistics, 29: 530-548, 2001.
67. ¨Upper bounds on the number of columns in supersaturated designs〃 (with B.
Tang), Biometrika, 88: 1169-1174, 2001.
68. ¨Generalized minimum aberration and design efficiency for nonregular
fractional factorial designs〃 (with L.Y. Deng and B. Tang), Statistica Sinica,
12: 991-1000, 2002.
69. ¨On regular fractional factorial experiments in row-column designs〃
Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference (Special volume dedicated to
C. R. Rao), 114:3-20, 2003.
70. ¨Hidden projection properties of some nonregular fractional factorial
designs and their applications〃 (with D. A. Bulutoglu), Annals of Statistics,
31: 1012-1026, 2003.
71. ¨Aberration, estimation capacity and estimation index〃 (with H. Chen), to
appear in Statistica Sinica, 2003.
72. ¨Construction of E(s2)-optimal supersaturated designs〃 (with D.
A. Bulutoglu), to appear in Annals of Statistics, 2004.
73. ¨Projection properties of factorial designs〃, under revision for
Screening (editied by A. M. Dean and S. M. Lewis).
74. ¨A general theory of minimum aberration and its applications〃 (with Boxin
75. ¨Doubling and projection: a method of constructing two-level
designs of resolution IV〃 (with H. Chen), preprint.